pydocstyle version numbers follow the Semantic Versioning specification.
1.1.1 - October 4th, 2016¶
- Fixed an issue where the flake8-docstrings failed when accessing some public API from pydocstyle.
1.1.0 - September 29th, 2016¶
pydocstyleis no longer a single file. This might make it difficult for some users to just add it to their project, but the project has reached certain complexity where splitting it into modules was necessary (#200).
Added the optional error codes D212 and D213, for checking whether the summary of a multi-line docstring starts at the first line, respectively at the second line (#174).
Added D404 - First word of the docstring should not be “This”. It is turned off by default (#183).
Added the ability to ignore specific function and method docstrings with inline comments:
- “# noqa” skips all checks.
- “# noqa: D102,D203” can be used to skip specific checks.
- Fixed an issue where file paths were printed in lower case (#179, #181).
- The error code D300 is now also being reported if a docstring has
uppercase literals (
U) as prefix (#176).
- Fixed a bug where an
__all__error was reported when
__all__was imported from another module with a different name (#182, #187).
- Fixed a bug where
raise X from Ysyntax caused
pydocstyleto crash (#196, #200).
1.0.0 - January 30th, 2016¶
- The project was renamed to pydocstyle and the new release will be 1.0.0!
- Added support for Python 3.5 (#145).
- Classes nested inside classes are no longer considered private. Nested classes are considered public if their names are not prepended with an underscore and if their parent class is public, recursively (#13, #146).
- Added the D403 error code - “First word of the first line should be properly capitalized”. This new error is turned on by default (#164, #165, #170).
- Added support for
.pydocstylercand as configuration file name (#140, #173).
- Fixed an issue where a
NameErrorwas raised when parsing complex definitions of
- Fixed a bug where D202 was falsely reported when a function with just a docstring and no content was followed by a comment (#165).
- Fixed wrong
__all__definition in main module (#150, #156).
- Fixed a bug where an
AssertionErrorcould occur when parsing
Versions documented below are before renaming the project from pep257 to pydocstyle.
0.7.0 - October 9th, 2015¶
- Added the D104 error code - “Missing docstring in public package”. This new
error is turned on by default. Missing docstring in
__init__.pyfiles which previously resulted in D100 errors (“Missing docstring in public module”) will now result in D104 (#105, #127).
- Added the D105 error code - “Missing docstring in magic method’. This new
error is turned on by default. Missing docstrings in magic method which
previously resulted in D102 error (“Missing docstring in public method”)
will now result in D105. Note that exceptions to this rule are variadic
magic methods - specifically
__new__, which will be considered non-magic and missing docstrings in them will result in D102 (#60, #139).
- Support the option to exclude all error codes. Running pep257 with
select=in the configuration file) will exclude all errors which could then be added one by one using
add-select. Useful for projects new to pep257 (#132, #135).
- Added check D211: No blank lines allowed before class docstring. This change is a result of a change to the official PEP257 convention. Therefore, D211 will now be checked by default instead of D203, which required a single blank line before a class docstring (#137).
- Configuration files are now handled correctly. The closer a configuration file
is to a checked file the more it matters.
Configuration files no longer support
0.6.0 - July 20th, 2015¶
- Added support for more flexible error selections using
- Property setter and deleter methods are now treated as private and do not require docstrings separate from the main property method (#69, #107).
- Fixed an issue where pep257 did not accept docstrings that are both unicode and raw in Python 2.x (#116, #119).
- Fixed an issue where Python 3.x files with Unicode encodings were not read correctly (#118).
0.5.0 - March 14th, 2015¶
- Added check D210: No whitespaces allowed surrounding docstring text (#95).
- Added real documentation rendering using Sphinx (#100, #101).
0.4.1 - January 10th, 2015¶
0.4.0 - January 4th, 2015¶
A fatal bug was discovered in this version (#92). Please use a newer version.
- Added configuration file support (#58, #87).
- Added a
--countflag that prints the number of violations found (#86, #89).
- Added support for Python 3.4, PyPy and PyPy3 (#81).
0.3.2 - March 11th, 2014¶
First documented release!